The money in our bank account is limited, so how unfair is it that there are endless gadgets, collectibles and toys out there that demand to be purchased? Let us help you sift through the crap, so you don’t can save that hard-earned cash for the things that deserve it. In other words, we give you the power to go to the counter and say, “Shut Up and Take My Money!”
Item: Walking Dead Survival Kit
What it is: It’s that time of year again: The Walking Dead is back! Every time this show comes back on, it makes us want to prepare ourselves for the zombie apocalypse. Thankfully, that will be easier than ever, as this fully-loaded kit (minus the weapons, but it will do) embroidered with TWD branded items. This isn’t your average novelty set; this kit has some hardcore do-dads, as well as some rewards for the die-hard fans. The supplies listed below are designed for two people to last three days (sorry, all you third-wheels):
- Exclusive AMC The Walking Dead – We’re Survivors Patch to the first 10,000 orders
- High end military style messenger bag with brass fittings and custom The Walking Dead Logo
- 2 – Datrex 2400 Calorie Emergency Food Ration. Stays fresh for up to 5 years
- 12 – Datrex 4.22 oz packs of Emergency Water. Stays fresh for up to 5 years
- 1 – Premium Lifeline First Aid kit, 85 Pieces
- 1 – Lifegear Glow LED Flashlight. Lasts up to 400 hours
- 2 – Emergency Mylar Space Blankets
- 2 – Emergency Ponchos for Severe Weather
- 1 – Leather Palm Work Gloves for moving debris
- 1 – Waterproof match booklet (where permitted)
- 4 – Procedural Face Masks
How Much it Costs: The survival kit is listed at $130, available as a pre-order through First My Family LLC and will be released in March-April. This is a company that actually sells emergency response supplies, from radios to first-aid kits to kits just like this. The only question I have, other than “What took AMC so long to capitalize on something like this?” is whether or not they will be released by the time the world ends.
Is It Worth It?: Honestly, not really. I know it’s harsh, and I know this is a pretty cool item, but why would you spend $130 for a bunch of crap you can probably get at Wal-Mart or the Army Surplus store for half the price? If you’re spending that much for a gaudy satchel with a logo and some generic first-aid and survival supplies, you’re probably not going to make it that long in the apocalypse anyway. That being said, though, it’s a really clever idea that will surely make them some money, and it’s really not that much more expensive than the other packs that First My Family LLC offers.
Bottom Line: This is a really cool idea marketed to The Walking Dead fans and zombie apocalypse enthusiasts everywhere. However, It’s just too steep of a price for things that you can gather on your own for a much cheaper price. The fact that it’s adorned with The Walking Dead name won’t help you any in an emergency situation, so why not spend that extra money on a machete, or a hammer, eh Tyreese?
Written by Sherif Elkhatib